Sunday, July 31, 2011

Runner's Destiny

I was recently in a city I had never visited before, completing my 4 mile training run for the Chevron Houston Marathon.  I was diligently following the mileage schedule for my orange pace group and had magically awoken at about 5:30 am to beat the heat and humidity even though the day before had been a full day of work.  While running, I had seen several well-dressed people obviously headed for their wait-staff jobs at downtown restaurants. At about 3.6 miles I asked one of them where I could get a good breakfast, as my hotel only had a continental breakfast and I wanted eggs, bacon and toast before I headed home later that morning. The very friendly gentleman said that I could come and have breakfast at the 4 star hotel where he worked; I nodded in agreement since I knew it would probably be good, but maybe my face said to him "that sounds expensive", which is what I was thinking.  Then he said "but the locals usually eat at the Sweetwater Cafe just around the corner on the other side of the hotel." I again nodded in agreement and thanked him for his help.  He said "just remember, it's the Sweetwater Cafe." I told him "I live in a town called Sugar Land and there is a street named 'Sweetwater' there, I won't have any trouble remembering the name."  The gentleman said "it's destiny then."

No comments: