Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cool Pool at the End of the Run

I'm lucky to have a cool pool in my back yard to jump into after a run in the warm, muggy morning air of Sugar Land.  There is something quite physical about being engulfed in cooling water when I am sweat-soaked, tired and sore. It's not the same as jumping in a shower; that takes too long.  This is immediate gratification, just take off my shoes and socks, empty my pockets of anything that might be damaged by water (I sometimes carry a pocket LED flashlight for imaging those sidewalk cracks and settled-segment steps that are prevalent in some parts of our city), and walk in or jump off the diving board.  Since I usually do the pool cool after a workday morning run, I don't linger to enjoy the moment or stare into the brightening morning sky. The cats are usually out and surveying their domain for prey or a cool spot to sleep. I can hear the traffic on the local highway beyond the commercial building behind our house. People already headed off to, or coming home from, work or running errands before the day gets too hot. I plan the day ahead, grateful that I have been able to complete another training run, whatever the time or pace.  I get out of the pool and water drips from my body and soaks into my towel.  It's no longer sweat but pool water and it feels different.

No comments: