Saturday, July 19, 2008

Got Some 'Splainin' to Do

So, I posted a photo of "The Dustinator" to the left. I'm sure you have lots of questions. Like "where did you get the name 'Dustinator'?" Well, a fraternity brother of mine, Kevin, started off an e-mail to me about a year ago with "Dustinator" and I decided it would be good as my nom de plume for Fort Bend Fit. You figure out the base word.

"What about that Longhorns gimme hat?" It was given to me by Fred, a very dear friend who goes a long way back. Fred and I were neighbors growing up. We started "JJ Labs" together. He was best man at my wedding. We both attended the University of Texas at Austin. A couple of years ago he gave me that hat. Now, anyone can buy their own hats, but when a friend gives you one, it is something special. Another friend and former co-worker, Jack, introduced me to the importance of "gimme" hats. Jack is an avid fisherman, and was very pleased that I had given him an Owls hat as a leaving-the-job gift, because he had lost his previous lucky hat and he believed that only hats that were gifted could be lucky. You can't buy luck, it has to be given to you. So I wear my Longhorns hat in that spirit.

"What about the dark glasses, where'd you get those sexy things?" I bought those dark glasses on a trip to Port Aransas several years ago with my wife. We had a lot of fun staying at a condo on the beach, relaxing and being with each other. Those dark glasses cost $10 but they have lots of memories behind them.

"OK, smart guy, what about that shirt, where'd you get that?" I bought it from Fort Bend Fit you idiot. Ahem, I mean, inquisitive person. And I had my wife write "Dustinator" on the front and back before the half-marathon in 2008. It's a "technical" shirt. Technical clothing is intended to wick sweat away from your body and enable it to quickly evaporate to lead to better cooling and lower weight clothing that is not full of sweat. It can be very important during long distance running. Wet skin blisters and abrades easier. This is all stuff you learn at the after-run seminars at Fort Bend Fit.

See ya on the road,
The Dustinator

No comments: